Home | Parish Staff | Worship | Witness | Pastoral Concerns | Educational Opportunities | Community Service | History | Choir


History

St. Matthias Church

       St. Matthias' Church owes it origin to the efforts of the Young Men's Christian Association of St. George's Church, Montreal.

       In 1873, they began to hold "house services" and a Sunday School in a house provided by Thomas Overing, father of Archdeacon Overing. His house burnt down the following year and a wooden church was built on the site of what is now the Upper Hall. In 1890, the Chancel was added, and later the walls of the church were expanded on three sides to accommodate growing numbers of parishioners.

       From plans submitted in 1910 by Ross & MacFarlane, architects, work was started on the new stone church, which was dedicated on the 28th of April, 1912. In 1929, the Crypt, whose excavated stone had been used in the foundations of the church, was made into a church hall, with vestries for clergy and choir. In 1934, the old wooden church was demolished to make way for the Upper Hall. At the same time, the north transept of the church was completed and made into a Memorial Chapel dedicated on the 1st of February, 1935.

       The Centennial year 1973 saw many projects. The choir was moved from the Chancel to the West End of the church where the present Karl Wilhelm organ was built to replace the old memorial organ. The Baptistery was constructed and the Memorial chapel refurbished to accommodate the War Memorial (dedicated in 1949), which was moved there. The primate also dedicated Centennial Needlepoint that year. A Centennial Fund was established whose name was later changed to the (Centennial) Memorial Fund. It had a big deficit in 1973, which had been turned into a capital of some $460,000 by the end of 1986.

       Founded as a mission church, St. Matthias celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1937 by building the mission church in Cecil Lake, B.C. and its 50th anniversary by building St. Matthias' Church, Iglulik, Diocese of the Arctic. Its third Rector, the Rev. Jervois Newnham, served in the mission field in Western Canada during which time he was appointed Bishop of Moosonee, and later Bishop of Saskatchewan. He had developed his pioneering spirit in our parish since, there being no Rectory here, he had to build his own. Bishop Reginald Hollis, ninth Bishop of Montreal, was curate and priest-in-charge in St. Matthias at the time of our 50th Anniversary.

       St. Matthias' Church is filled with the spirit of all who have worshipped here, who have created and maintained its liturgical and choral traditions. Major gifts of windows are matched in love by the beauty of a kneeler, the gift of a ciborium, but most of all by the gifts of themselves - the generations of worshippers in St. Matthias - to the glory of God in this their glorious Church.

10 Church Hill
Westmount, Quebec
H3Y 2Z9
Tel: (514) 933-4295
Fax: (514) 933-3309
E-Mail:
st.matthias@qc.aira.com


Sunday Services:
8:00am: Holy Eucharist

10:30am: Sung or Said Eucharist

5:00pm: Choral Evensong (4 times per year, as announced)

Other Services as Announced


Home | Parish Staff | Worship | Witness | Pastoral Concerns | Educational Opportunities | Community Service | History | Choir


Copyright St. Matthias Church 2006